Thursday 13 December 2007

Eureka

At last today I managed to log on to the (restricted area) of the JIAMCATT website - until today my login didn't seem to work. Most normal mortals who are not translators will not have a clue what I am talking about but it has the impressive title of Joint Inter-Agency Meeting on Computer-Assisted Translation and Terminology! Even the open access pages have good linguistic resources to consult (not very beautiful though I admit!) and I'm interested in getting in touch with them next year to see whether the WCC's terminology project could go on these pages. In the meantime I've just been browsing on the restricted pages (yes I admit I also looked at the job offers!). This site appropriately called Eureka looks fun.
Looking again at these translation resources reminds me of an interesting but rather expensive book I saw while doing my Christmas shopping on Amazon. It's called Education as Translation a metaphor for change in learning and teaching. It's by Alison Cook Sather and I only chanced on the book while I was looking for cook books. I rather fancy writing a book on "theology as translation - a metaphor for change in listening and preaching". I don't suppose I shall, one doctorate in the family is enough I think. Sometimes though I sit in meetings and count how many times the words translation or interpretation are used. As with many metaphors there is philosophical interest in translation but not always understanding of what sheer physical hard work it is.

0 Comments: