Tuesday 15 July 2008

Signs of the kingdom in perfumed roses

I'm not sure if a flower can speak - saying for instance carpe diem - sieze the moment, sieze the day. The bouquets of flowers I have at home at the moment speak in all sorts of ways: bright sunflowers, showing off their light even when the rain is pouring down; posh blue scabias and spider blue chrysanthemums speaking of elegance and refinement against white roses and greenery; red roses and gerberas speaking of love, power, strength and fortitude; and finally a bunch of mixed heavily scented old roses, the petals already falling, the perfume greeting us home in the evening.
Each flower is an invitation to live in the moment, to notice the fullness of time present, laden as it is with the efforts of time past and the hope of time future. Signs of the kingdom in the here and now, beautifuly coloured and fully perfumed.

2 Comments:

Deirdre said...

Jane,
This is an inspiration! Thank you. I've posted a pic of flowers on my desk on my blog that just happen to be next to a bible open at Psalm 150:6. The Long Island rose grower at the Union Square market in NYC always claims that his roses say, "Pick me! pick me!" For everyone who can't be near flowers...

Jane said...

In my very tiny garden - which is also very untended these days - I have something approaching a fennel tree which attracts loads of insect life as the flowers open. It too has a wonderful perfume.
I suppose perfume is something like the breath of flowers as in Psalm 150. It also takes me back to "o"level French class and the wonderful word "embaumer" for the perfume filing the air - sometimes the English is not so poetic ...