Friday 28 November 2008

Fat nuns skating - a first Christmas card

I received my first Christmas card today, this rather sweet picture of rather fat nuns skating. It came from a lovely woman who sends me a card every year since I took her husband's funeral, over ten years ago. Her card reminds me what a privilege it is to be involved in people's lives at times of joy and tragedy like this. It humbled me too, to be remembered. It's easy to forget the impact you can have on the lives of others. Her husband's funeral was a joyous, weepy, jazz and sadness personal event. I can still remember his face from the photos she showed me.
Her card to mark Christ's incarnation reminds me how powerfully the gospel speaks to us in times of personal tragedy. Being able to remember a funeral with thankfulness and joy says something too about resurrection.

0 Comments: