Sunday 3 January 2010

2010 is the UN year of biodiversity





I suppose my new year's resolution should really be learning how to deal with photos and images I want to put on my blog. The logo above would be better a bit bigger. Anyway big is not always beautiful, the message of the UN year of biodiversity is that the planet's diversity is beautiful.
You can access some great educational material on biodiversity and also visit other resources on the biodiversity is life site. It's a way of moving 2009's 150th anniversary of the publication of Darwin's Origin of the Species forwards.

At work we are in the process of preparing an issue of Ecumenical Review on the Greening of the Church, following on from Copenhagen and the previous 20 years of campainging on issues related to creation. This sets me wondering what thinking about biodiversity might have to offer our thinking on ecumenism. That will have to be for another post.

2010 is also the international year for the rapprochement of cultures, about which you can read more on the wonderful UNESCO website.

But what will 2010 be the year of for me? Well 2010 marks me entering my second decade of living with MS. And given that the latest terrorist attempt on a transatlantic plane tried to use a syringe as a trigger, I imagine that 2010 will be the year when I try to avoid travelling by air if at all possible. My syringes can't go in the hold - they break in the cold - and trying to get them throught security is always interesting. We'll see how things go.

What will 2010 be the year of for you?

0 Comments: