Monday 9 February 2009

Puter problems and solutions

This is the first post on my brand new msi Wind netbook. My old laptop developed a critical hard disk error and it has already been resurrected once so we've decided to branch out with this mini puter which was waiting for me on my desk when I arrived from Rome this morning. Meanwhile we'll see whether we can still get an IDE hard disk for my distinctly tatty old laptop case. Fitting bits and pieces into old computer shells is almost as much fun as building IKEA furniture and allows for new forms of getting irritated with one another.
Other people are trying to win me over to the idea of buying a Mac. I think I'd rather have a few expensive holidays and still have enough for another netbook. Anyway Dr B has threatened divorce or, worse than that, no technical support if a Mac comes into the house to stay.
I do understand the attraction of Apple's stuff, objects of desire in the fetishism of gadgets but for the moment I try to resist its siren calls. After all no computer says it can actually dream up your blogposts for you.
Update: The MSI Wind has an "undocumented feature" of dividing the hard disk into two parts, loading the programme files onto the C: drive but then also setting default save to the C: rather than D: drive - Dr B has dealt with this problem now and created a default save to the D: drive. Phew, there are problems out there that we techise don't even know about. Picture provided for Gustavo - mine is white and has a QWERTZ keyboard and not the dreaded AZERTY keyboard.

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Please, post a picture of your new gadget.

Hansuli John Gerber said...

I first was going to ask why you didn't get a Mac but now I will abstain. However, Mac are not that expensive anymore. And, as my mother used to say, "Jeder wird auf seine Weise selig"...

Anonymous said...

Meine Großmutter sagte, "wir sind zu arm um billig zu kaufen".

Liebe Gruesse vom neuen MacBook, aus Marschacht und vom Kirchentag

Gerhard Koepsel

Jane said...

Gerhard schön von dir zu hörenich fahre nächste Woche nach Bremen mit Sheila und elaine!
Deine webseite ist SEHR schön

Anonymous said...

Your husband's threat (Shame on you, Dr B!) could actually be just hot air: with a Mac you would rather not need technical support (not at least of the kind: how do I fix this undocumented feature... c'mon). Anyway, I wish you a lot of happy blogging with your netbook (which are really light, a good thing for a traveler blogger like you). Otherwise, in Argentine Spanish we say: Vos te lo perdés.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the picture! (from my QWERTY keyboard)

Anonymous said...

Lac19 misunderstands the issue. It was not a threat, just a constat, that I would be unable to provide technical support if needed.
Anyway we shall probably move over to Uhuru, or Ubuntu, whatever it is called