Friday 17 April 2009

A Friday five on appliances from RevGal pals

So here's another Friday five from Revgalpals

1. What is the one appliance you simply couldn't be without?

The dishwasher. And I have to eat humble pie about this, I held out against having one for a long time, we're still not good at feeding and unloading the beast but I have no nostaligia at all for doing the dishes by hand.

2. What if anything would you happily give up?
I would happily give up the coffee machine but marital strife would ensue and that would make me unhappy so it should stay. I think I ought to happily give up the tumble drier because it so very bad for the environment and getting rid of it would require me to completely rethink the way I live and plan.

3. What is the strangest household appliance you own?
A wormery that eats and composts our kitchen waste - very green except it's black. I love the fact that it's called a lombricomposteur in French. Having that makes me feel a little less guilty about using the tumble drier. Buy your own here.

4. What is the most luxurious household appliance you own?
Our house came with underfloor central heating and white tiles. I suppose that may be the biggest "white good" I (part) own. However I suspect the most luxurious item we own is a second rather elderly frig-freezer which we seem to use exclusively to keep wine and champagne cool in. (Yes I know my green credentials just took another nosedive.)

5. Tell us about your dream kitchen- the sky is the limit here...
At first I though Bulthaup, steel, Gaggenau, island unit, double hob etc.
Then I thought no, my dream kitchen is about a way of life, being able to move seemlessly between it, the living space and the garden. It needs to either have room for a sofa in it or a living room nearby where people can hang out and chat with whoever is in the kitchen, access to the garden or a big window ledge for herbs is important.
In my dream kitchen no matter how much I cook and entertain there is always still enough work surface left and I never mislay anything ever! (I wish :-)
There is also a very special je ne sais quoi in my dream kitchen. Latish in the evening after entertaining the hostess is sitting down and there comes from the kitchen the noise of someone doing the tidying up, loading and unloading the dishwasher. It is the sexiest and most reassuring sound I know, it never fails to make me smile and count my blessings. The man I love is clearing up. Lucky or what?
Writing this I realised more than ever that I more or less have my dream kitchen. It's not about perfect things and appliances, it's about the people who inhabit the dream kitchen and what goes on there. So what goes on in God's kitchen?

2 Comments:

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Heated floors...how wonderful. Thanks for stopping by my place.

QuakerPastor said...

My favorite part about our dishwasher is that it is my son's job to unload, and mainly my husband's to load. Nice play!
QP