Thursday 22 October 2009

On eagle's wings ...

but those who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength,
they shall mount up with wings like eagles,
they shall run and not be weary,
they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40.31

At prayers this morning our continuously surprising and amazing colleague Manoj Kurian took us off on an early morning Bible study which compared Isaiah 40 21-31 with Matthew 11.30 "My yoke is easy and my burden light".
In our discussion Deenabandhu Manchala said he felt that the image of the "yoke" was still oppressive: faith imposed, not just a master-servant relationship but a master slave relationship. Others joked as we reflected together that the yoke of faith and following christ does not always seem so light and easy.
In many ways I felt the images of liberation are stronger and more powerful in the Isaiah texts. Just having the time to read, pray and speak together I felt in some way born up, my strength renewed. Thanks Manoj.

0 Comments: