Monday 26 October 2009

Persistence

I have just posted the liturgy that Fulata Mbano Moyo prepared for this morning to the docs sections. together with two other female colleagues she reflected on what being persistent in prayer might mean as we thought more deeply about the story of the widow and the unjust judge in Luke's gospel.
Luzia Wehrle shared a story about the young Chiara Lubich persistence at asking difficult questions and making difficult assertions in her philosophy class at school - despite needing to always get good grades in order to get the scholarship she needed to continue studying.
Rima Barsoum shared powerful stories of muslim women praying and losing their lives because of the vigour of their prayers. She asked for our persistent prayers for muslim women arrested in their own countries for praying for peace with justice in their contexts.
I felt challenged by these reflectiosn and by the persistence of the widow. My own prayer tries hard to be more or less disciplined, but I'm not sure I could describe it as persistent. My whole life I have found it hard to ask for what I want - perhaps that in itself is because I come from a very privileged background and have wanted for very little. Being able to ask God persistently in prayer requires desire as well. Perhaps it is that desire, that "wanting" that I sometimes lack.
the promise in the gospel text is that even if an unjust judge can do justice then how much more will a gracious God do justice. Speak, pray, enunciate your demand, yell out your cry, God will listen.

0 Comments: