Wednesday 7 January 2009

More reflections on Gaza

Simon Barrow has written an interesting piece for Ekklesia called on not being left eyeless in Gaza.
... the misuse of religion is usually much more dangerous than its straightforward denial, which is why for the biblical prophets the opposite of 'good faith' was idolatry (believing in something false) not atheism (a refusal of belief).
Here's a prime example. Over the past few days the ancient biblical tradition of lex talionis - "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" - has been wheeled out on numerous occasions to legitimate in some way or other the appalling cycle of violence in Gaza. Protagonists on both sides have employed it.

Read the rest here.

There is also an interesting piece here by Mient Jan Faber who writes about how experience of dialogue in Palestine made him think afresh about the ethical foundations of political action. He ends the reflection on his encounters in Gaza by saying this:
For me, encountering terrorism thrust me back to my own core values. When I found myself talking to terrorist leaders I gained a new appreciation of my Calvinist roots. Now, for their part, it was only when they understood I would condemn my own father if he had been a terrorist, that they realised my effort to understand them in no way meant that I could excuse or accept what they did.

0 Comments: