Saturday 19 September 2009

A blissful, happy or blesséd shower?

This morning using some new shower gel I'd got as a present, I came across a new possible translation for the Beatitudes.
In English it's called "blissful body cleanser" and then I noticed that the French version was "gel lavant béatitude". So of course I began wondering if I could work this "spa wisdom" epiphany into a new translation of the beatitides - Blissful are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness? No maybe not ... ah well for translators even the morning shower poses questions.

3 Comments:

Mrs Redboots (Annabel Smyth) said...

Actually, and fairly seriously, doesn't the "Blessed" of the Beatitudes imply "blissful" as one of its meanings?

(Shower gel is one of the things I stock up on during my twice-yearly visits to France - not that it's any cheaper or anything, but they are different!)

Unknown said...

It's a beautiful image. As I prepare a new women's program called "Soul Spa," it will be in my thoughts.

Jane said...

Thanks annabel and Song bird - love teh idea of a "soul spa" - could do with one as well!
Makarios is interesting in terms of translation - I think I've written quite often here and in comments elsewhere about Chouraqui's translation of "debout" - stand up for Makarios
perhaps bliss would also work in terms of another dimension - those who work for justice, those who are poor in spirit etc would be signs of another dimension amongst us ... hmm as always with any thoguhts on teh Bible there's almost too much to say!