Sunday 6 September 2009

Breaking the blogging block with a labyrinth
















So to break my recent lack of blogging I've posted some photos of the brilliant labyrinth that my colleague Mark Taylor of the Iona communuity got stewards to lay out and build with stones during the WCC's recent central committee. When I first suggested the idea Mark took it all in his stride and found a very straightforward way of marking out the labyrinth on the grass next to the ecumenical centre's cafeteria. It is a wonderful resource just for taking a break during the working day and it also looks really lovely. I must remember to go up to the 4th floor and take a photo of what it looks like from up there.
I'll try and post a copy of the method Mark used to make the labyrinth soon - mind you especially if you build it with stones it does require quite a lot of freely available labour!
You can find out more about labyrinths here, and I'll be posting here about labyrinths as well.
The most surprising thing for me walking it for the first time is how long it takes to walk in and to walk out - it really is about giving yourself time for the pilgrimage. The other thing I felt very much on finally reaching the centre for the first time was a real sense of joy and achievement. Walking the labyrinth even touched an old cynic like me.

3 Comments:

shallowfrozenwater said...

i love walking the labyrinth and blogged about it myself not so long ago.
i've also wanted to go visit the Iona community and this makes me want to go there even more now.
wonderful.

shallowfrozenwater said...

sorry, meant to link some stuff over.

http://shallowfrozenwater.blogspot.com/2009/07/whats-out-there_22.html

http://shallowfrozenwater.blogspot.com/2009/07/pilgrimage-without-leaving-home.html

janetlees said...

Brilliant labrynth - I'll put it on the V4L prayer link if I remember.
Thanks
Janet