Thursday, 18 December 2008

Wordles for worship


One of the joys of blogging is discovering seemingly pointless stuff out there on the internet that you then find a use for. In my case this usually means a liturgical use.
So earlier this week I realised that I needed to put the word "peace" in various languages into a Christmas card from which a jigsaw shaped piece had peace cut out ... and I thought "oh dear I'm going to have to design something." Then as I was walking home I suddenly realised that I could wordle peace in many languages and see if that would give me what I needed and it did. I like this one because it looks just a bit like a Christmas tree. The result was printed on bright coloured A5 paper and looked good.
Some of the other attempts have been saved here. I have to admit that my first peace list was rather Scandinavian in weighting and my first peace wordle came out with the word Fred writ large. Even though I try to agitate for using many languages I wasn't sure this would really get my message across.
Anyway now you know about wordles you too can find a liturgical use for them, do let me know what it is - I suppose I should try and feed a sermon in sometime but I'm worried that might make the whole system crash!

1 Comment:

Brian Barker said...

As the “International Year of Languages” comes to an end, you may be interested in the contribution, made by the World Esperanto Association, to UNESCO's campaign for the protection of endangered languages.

The following declaration was made in favour of Esperanto, by UNESCO at its Paris HQ in December 2009. http://portal.unesco.org/culture/en/ev.php-URL_ID=38420&URL_DO=DO_PRINTPAGE&URL_SECTION=201.html

The commitment to the campaign to save endangered languages was made, by the World Esperanto Association at UNESCO's Geneva HQ.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eR7vD9kChBA&feature=related