Saturday 26 April 2008

Women and men for human rights in Zimbabwe



Visit Kubatana.net to get up to date news from people at the grassroots in Zimbabwe. Kubatana is an online resource for activist in and from Zimbabwe. I've just posted some reports from Women's watch giving women's experiences of 28 years of independance. They are put together by Veritas which provides information on legislation issues in Zimbabwe. please credit Kubatan if you use any of the article from their website it's all registered under a creative commons license.

So have you been involved in civic activism today or has your your own political engagement been rather sub-prime lately? As the call goes out to pray for Zimbabwe this weekend perhaps we should be praying for all political systems and political cultures in our world, for their well-being and integrity and for our involvement in civil society.

Below is an extract from one of the women reflecting on independence in Zimbabwe. I think these voices show how difficult it is for people to struggle with their very mixed feelings around the liberator from unjust white rule who has become their present day oppressor. It's worth reading these women's voices if you get a chance and do support kubatana.net.

I can vividly recall the image of Independence that is buried somewhere in my mind - Robert Mugabe the guerilla turned leader, Prince Charles and legendary Bob Marley. It embraced such diversity. I was still in school and quite politically naïve but it moved me when I heard the word reconciliation being hailed. Having been one of the first five non-white girls to attend my particular school, I was moved by the Speech of Independence. I needed to know that things were going to change and we would all be embraced regardless of colour, religion, race, etc. under the flag of red, black, green, yellow and white. I face great difficulty when I attempt to conjure up that same passion. I have to force myself to remember that there are many changes to celebrate. We have gained entry into places that were once forbidden - particularly as women in our own right. We are in positions of power and prestige. We are a voice to be reckoned with. We have contributed to changes in legislation, health, education, business and even governance. But then I am disheartened that we still have to deal with the same power dynamics as before in certain spaces. In fact it appals me. Women are being assaulted, raped and tortured. How tragic!!! I really did not want my daughters to grow up witnessing more of the same. I thought we were liberated in 1980.

2 Comments:

Simon Barrow said...

Thanks for the excellent Zimbabwe resources you've been posting.

Jane said...

WSCF have instituted - as of the day before yesterday - a regular lunch meeting in the ecumenical centre in Geneva - wasn't able to go this week but they are trying to get the different church and youth organisations to share information as much as possible. Michael Wallace their GS should be able to let you know a bit more.