Monday 16 February 2009

Politics or the church?

When I was at college one of my tutors who was very active in local politics as I was at the time asked what I was going to do after graduating. I said that I was intending to train for the ministry. "Oh Good" he said "so you are going into politics."
At the time I laughed politely. Now I think back to that conversation and realise how true it is, there is probably even more politics in the church and between the churches than there is in parliaments.
Meanwhile our friend Anders Gadegaard is in the middle of a long campaign as one of the candidates to be the next bishop of Copenhagen. He's also the latest of my acquaintances to have his own blog and even a campaign site. It is of course all in Danish which is a very fine language which I neither speak nor read but which with the help of German and some Dutch I can sort of guess my way around and understand about 50%. I find Danish translations of the Bible particularly fascinating - not really sure why, I just do.

1 Comment:

Hansuli John Gerber said...

As I read I thought you were going to announce Anders was one of the candidates to be the General Secretary of the WCC...