Tuesday, 14 October 2008

Trust as the essential ingredient in management

On Wednesday evening I shall take the train to Rome to begin the second year of my course on management with the Craighead Institute. I'm trying to get around to sorting out the title for the long essay I have to write for the Diploma next year and have been trying to read around the topic a bit. Over the past week I came across this article on Trust, Confidence and Organizational Brain Disorder by Theo Compernolle.
The thing that is beginning to interest me more and more as I go into the study of management is that is is really like psychotherapy but for organizations. French talks about associations and organizations as "une personne morale" - this really simply means a legal entitiy - as opposed to a "une personne physique" which is an individual (Don't translate these as moral person and physical person - you're likely to get even more lost in legal jargon!). Although the concept of une personne morale was a bit difficult for me to get my head around as I begin to understand organizations as living, breathing and irrational entities it begins to make a bit more sense.
Anyway, here are a couple of quotes from Compernolle's article:

Trust feeds on virtue, so be virtuous. Your words and actions should reflect your values. Keep your commitments and promises. Admit your mistakes quickly, without any “buts,” and right wrongs fast. Be forgiving.

Interestingly this is almost religious language and this next quote could almost come from the book of Proverbs:

Effective communication builds bridges. Communicate by listening 80% of the time, but don’t forget the other 20% – dedicated to active communication, using clear and simple terms and metaphors. Make time for live contact. As an active communicator never criticize in public and do not engage in negative gossip. Instead, spread lots of positive gossip and be good at giving and receiving positive and negative feedback.