Wednesday 13 August 2008

Anniversary of the building of the Berlin wall

Today marks the 47th anniversary of the building of the Berlin wall. I showed a large group of young people from German-speaking Switzerland around the ecumenical centre today and ended as often by showing them the large piece of the wall which is in the garden a few metres away from my office. As I was talking about it I realised that not a single one of them was born at the time the wall came down in 1989 - a key event in my life as I was living in East Germany at the time.
The picture above is of part of the wall which is now protected and still standing as a reminder in Berlin.
As we were looking at the remains of the wall today the group's pastor said that he hoped that other walls and divisions would be similarly overcome some day - in Israel, in Korea ... and many other places.

0 Comments: